-
July 5th, 2002, 04:33 PM
#1
Inactive Member
My tranny just started popping out of second gear on it's own. It seems to only do it when going over a bumpy road. It doesn't matter where the throttle's at either. I've also noticed that my tranny makes a "pshhhh" sound when I downshift...sounds like a low volume blowoff valve. When my car was younger it made the same sound but it wasn't as loud and obnoxious like it is now.
-
July 6th, 2002, 12:53 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Fred,
Check your fluid level in the transmission... it is not uncommon for it to pop out of gear when the fluid level is dangerously low.
If this is NOT the problem... get ready for a trans overhaul.
-
July 7th, 2002, 01:34 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I checked the fluid level and it's fine. My tranny has taken some pretty heavy abuse for the past 92k miles. I'm suprised it's held up this long. If it came to fixing the tranny, would you recommend buying a used tranny from a low miles d16y8 or taking it to AAMCO or someone like that to get repaired? I've seen used D16 trannies for around $250.00. Is there a D16 tranny with better gear ratios than the d16y8 that would bolt up? I may just drive the crap out of this car until I hit 100k miles and then do the B18 turbo swap I've been wanting to do.
-
July 8th, 2002, 06:04 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Ahhh tranny problems. I have been driving on a bad syncro for a couple months now. Hopefully the end of the month it can be fixed.
-
July 8th, 2002, 06:37 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to take my car to some local transmission places to get some estimates. I'd like to do it myself but I only have one jack which isn't working right and no engine hoist. I'm really leaning towards the motor swap now instead of dumping all this money into this motor which will never be that fast. If the estimate to fix the tranny is over $500.00 I'm not even going to bother getting it fixed.
-
July 9th, 2002, 03:21 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Fred,
Here are some things that I could tell you what to look for since I've gone through 8 months of no car and transmission hell.
My previous tranny popped out of fourth gear one day and I had just put it on. The Synchro was completely shredded when I finally opened it to take the quaife out.
Another thing that you might want to look at could be the selector inside the tranny. If that selector has been worn out bad then your gears will either start popping out or not go in properly.
Those are the two things that I can think of by reading your problems. I've taken out the tranny on my car so many times that I took it out this past weekend in 2? hours and put it back in the next day in the exact same time.
Good luck.
-
July 9th, 2002, 01:42 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
I had my syncro's fixed and it cost 350-450 bucks just for the syncro set that was to be replaced. In my opinion, if you are going to get this done or any internal tranny work for that matter, save up, get a quaffie and a fly wheel/clutch combo. If you are planning on going hybrid, you might want to consider doing that now instead of blowing a huge hunk of change to fix the tranny.
Only other thing you could do is shop around for a used tranny for your car. Tom Civic had one for sale.
-
July 9th, 2002, 03:12 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
I would be stunned if the repair is LESS than $500.00...
Transmission work is very labor intensive and thus, time consuming. In addition, parts will be required to make the necessary repairs.
I would consider one of two options: By a LOW MILE used "D" transmission or go ahead and make the step up to the Hybrid swap.
-
July 9th, 2002, 05:10 PM
#9
Inactive Member
I located a tranny with 64k miles on it for $100. CROM, do u have a rough estimate on how much a shop might charge just to swap trannies?
-
July 10th, 2002, 12:13 AM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
well,
It isnt that hard, its a lot of bolts and you need a tranny cradle thingy (technical talk you wouldnt understand [img]wink.gif[/img] ) but I saw a friend of mine pull his off and put another one on in about 1 hour, of course he's a pro.
I really have no idea how much someone would charge you to do it. A shop can probably do it in less than 2-3 hours. So maybe 150-300 dollars is what you would be looking at. Call around and get some quotes.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 09, 2002 09:19 PM: Message edited by: CROM ]</font>
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 09, 2002 09:20 PM: Message edited by: CROM ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks